J J Allen's Auxiliary Depository, Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth, c. 1920
Members do not see ads
Taken looking north along Holdenhurst Road, showing J J Allen's Depository, along with the many shops fronting the street.
Shops discernible include Swift's Beef Company, Keevil's Ham & Beef Stores, the Shakespeare Tea & Coffee Rooms (with three prams outside), and a cycle repair workshop.
According to the House of Fraser archive: "J J Allen Ltd was formed in 1899 to 'carry on the extensive and old-established business of Mr.J.J.Allen, House Furnisher, Carpet Importer and Factor, Cabinet Manufacturer, Upholsterer, Decorator, Removal Contractor, Warehouseman, and Funeral Furnisher'."
Part of the building still survives - the closest semi-circular windows can be made out in the buildings in the Streetview image.