Sittingbourne, Kent, England, ME10 4

About Sittingbourne

Sittingbourne is an industrial town situated in the Swale district of Kent in south east England, 17 miles (27 km) from Canterbury and 45 miles (72 km) from London. The town sits beside the Roman Watling Street, an ancient British trackway used by the Romans and the Anglo-Saxons and next to the Swale, a strip of sea separating mainland Kent from the Isle of Sheppey.

The town became prominent after the death of Thomas Becket in 1170, since it provided a convenient resting point on the road from London to Canterbury and Dover.

From Wikipedia - click for full entry

Sittingbourne Locality

Profile Stats:

Members do not see ads

The Three Post Boys

David Atkinson
@david-atkinson
07 Apr 2020 20:57:49
8 posts
The Three Post Boys pub was at 36, High Street, Sittingbourne; part of it is now a pet shop, but photos on www.Dover-Kent.com show that it was probably a coaching inn. There is a family connection through my paternal 3x great grandparents, Thomas and Henrietta Crayden. Their sixth child, Eliza, married John Fukes at Milstead in June 1847. I can find no record of them in the 1851 census, but in 1861, John and Eliza were living at 'The Three Post Boys Eating and Ale House', where John is the licencee. John died in 1864 and Eliza took over the tenancy until 1867, when the Post Office Directory shows that the tenancy had passed to Eliza's widowed elder brother William Crayden. The last record of William as the publican is in the 1881 census, but he may have continued as such until 1887, when he died.
Any additional information would be most welcome!
updated by @david-atkinson: 24 Jul 2020 18:20:52