Lynsted, Kent, England, ME9 0

About Lynsted

Lynsted is a village in Lynsted with Kingsdown civil parish in the Swale borough of Kent, England. The village is situated south of the A2 road between Faversham and Sittingbourne and the nearest M2 junction is Faversham three miles east. Lynsted is in many respects an archetypal old English village with church, churchyard with an ancient yew, pub (the Black Lion) and a duck pond.

The parish's southern part is on the north slope of the North Downs; Bluetown, Kingsdown is at 104 m above mean sea level and Erriottwood at 67 m. Its extent stretches from, in the north, the Roman road Watling Street, later named Greenstreet and now named London Road, where the hamlets south of it are Cellarhill or Cellar Hill and Claxfield (that borders across the road Teynham) to, in the south, Erriottwood. Bogle in the north-centre and Tickham in the east are the two other hamlets, within 1⁄4 mile of the centre. The land drains well with chalks of the North Downs.

Lynsted Locality

Profile Stats:

Members do not see ads

Looking for information on Collyer's Farm / Thomas Robert Crayden

iamtimbo
@iamtimbo
22 Oct 2017 18:32:04
63 posts
I know that my great-grandfather, Thomas Robert Crayden, was living at Collyer's Farm in Lynsted, having been born in Hartlip (@hartlip-kent-england-me9-7). According to the 1901 census, he was in service as a gardener, and I'm wondering if anyone has any information on Collyers Farm, what he might have been doing there as a gardener (beyond the obvious!), or the Craydens in Hartlip/Lynsted, at around that time?
Although his family were from around the area, he didn't end up staying much longer, marrying my great-grandmother in London 6 years later.
updated by @iamtimbo: 15 Nov 2017 10:05:01