Binfield Heath, Oxfordshire, England, RG9 4

About Binfield Heath

Binfield Heath is a village and civil parish in South Oxfordshire, England. It is centred 2.6 miles (4.2 km) SSW of Henley-on-Thames and 3.6 miles (5.8 km) northeast of Reading, Berkshire (the nearest towns) and is on a southern knoll of the Chiltern Hills.

From Wikipedia - click for full entry

Binfield Heath Locality

Profile Stats:

Members do not see ads

The Chapel

David Atkinson
@david-atkinson
11 Apr 2020 21:02:07
8 posts
Although a parish in its own right since 2003, when I grew up in Binfield Heath it spanned the parishes of Shiplake and Dunsden and hence there was no parish church for the village itself.
The only place of worship was the Congregational Church, known by one and all as "The Chapel". The Chapel was built in 1835 and was one of a number of churches 'planted' by the Castle Street Congregational Church in Reading in the surrounding villages.
Although a Congregational church originally, it was quite evangelical by nature and eventually - in the 1950s, I think - left the Congregational Union and became independent. From time to time a minister was employed, with other services being led by lay preachers.
The Atkinsons were worshippers at the Chapel from the time my grandparents moved to the village in 1903. My Dad was born in 1904 and went to the Chapel all his life, first to the Sunday School with his elder sisters and brother, then with my Mum with my sister and me joining them in due course.
I attended Sunday School, Sunday Services and Christian Endeavour meetings at the Chapel from 1943 until I was married in 1970, and both my parents' funerals took place there before being buried at Shiplake. My Mum died in 1998, bringing to an end a family link of almost 100 years.
The Chapel still continues, with support from Carey Street Baptist Church in Reading.
updated by @david-atkinson: 23 Jun 2020 13:03:54