Binfield Heath, Oxfordshire, England, RG9 4

About Binfield Heath

Binfield Heath is a village and civil parish in South Oxfordshire, England. It is centred 2.6 miles (4.2 km) SSW of Henley-on-Thames and 3.6 miles (5.8 km) northeast of Reading, Berkshire (the nearest towns) and is on a southern knoll of the Chiltern Hills.

From Wikipedia - click for full entry

Binfield Heath Locality

Profile Stats:

Members do not see ads

Binfield Heath and me

David Atkinson
@david-atkinson
09 Apr 2020 20:47:19
8 posts
For the first 26 years of my life, Binfield Heath was my home. I was born there at 1, Claremont Villas in 1943. Claremont Villas were a pair of Edwardian semi-detached houses next door to Bulpitts shop and Post Office. It was a 'tied' cottage by virtue of my Dad's employment as a dairyman on the Phillimore Estate. In 1948, my Dad's employment changed and we went to live at The Larches at the bottom of Arch Hill. We were there for three years and then moved back to our previous home. I went to Shiplake School and then Henley Grammar School.
My Dad, Bill, had been born in Binfield Heath soon after his parents moved there from a village near Kintbury. My Mum was born in London, but was living at May's Green when she and my Dad were married. Dad and Mum stayed in the village until Dad retired in 1970, when they moved to Shiplake.
The Binfield Heath Flower Show started when I was a child and George Henbest was the secretary. It's good to see that it's still going; most of the challenge cups bear the name of people I knew as a boy!
Anyone else remember those days?
updated by @david-atkinson: 02 May 2020 05:56:39